Note from the Nurse's Office
Dear Parents and Students,
I do hope you are doing well and taking care of yourselves! We are in a unique and uncertain time as we navigate through life during the outbreak of COVID-19. During this time, we are all learning to provide for our students in a new way. Should you or your child have a question, please know that I am available. I can be reached through e-mail at: email@example.com. If you need to schedule a call for any concerns, please e-mail me first and we can schedule a call.
A note from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention
“Washing your hands is easy, and it’s one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of germs. Clean hands can stop germs from spreading from one person to another and throughout an entire community—from your home and workplace to childcare facilities and hospitals.
Follow these five steps every time:
Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.”
Talking to kids about COVID-19
It can be difficult talking to kids about what is happening and what COVID-19 is. The following is a link to a great resource for talking to children about COVID-19: https://childmind.org/article/talking-to-kids-about-the-coronavirus/
The best way to help our children is to talk with them. Reassure them of what you are doing to keep them safe!
NM Department of Health
The New Mexico Department of Health has a dedicated web page for updated information regarding COVID-19. It can be found at: https://cv.nmhealth.org/
Up-to-date information and resources are available. Please ensure you are utilizing information provided from a creditable resource when talking to your children about COVID-19.
Below is a list of resources provided by the National Association of School Nurses:
- Video from State of Kentucky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdd3FAlNQf8&feature=youtu.be/
- Video from Child Mind Institute: https://childmind.org/article/talking-to-kids-about-the-coronavirus/
- Video from Canada Broadcasting Corporation (CBC): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyL5wOodCyI
- Video from Global News: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uA--hPr1aA
- Website from Kids Health from Nemours: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/coronavirus-how-talk-child.html
- Website from Public Broadcasting System (PBS): https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/10-tips-for-talking-about-covid-19-with-your-kids
- Website from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/children-faq.html
- Website from Mayo Clinic: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/helping-kids-cope-with-the-covid-19-pandemic/
- Website blog from Michigan Health: https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-covid-19
Chariti Sanchez MSN-Ed, RN
Lori Ortiz MA